Monday, May 28, 2012

Sitting With God


“Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.”
Satchel Paige 1906-1982

            This last week, I have done a lot of sitting and a lot of sitting and thinking.  Spending a week in silence will do that to you.  It’s easy to sit perfectly still and gaze out over the beauty of the ocean.  Your mind just seems to go to a different place.  Sometimes it takes that to really—really listen to God.  We think that we listen, but in the busyness of our life, we tend to do a lot more talking to God than listening.
            God had some things He needed to say to me, and I had some questions that I needed to ask.  It’s all kind of personal, so I won’t go in to all the details, but suffice it to say—we had a heart to heart.  It is humbling and a privilege to be here in this beautiful place.  God knew last fall when I made the reservations that I would need this time with Him.  I’m grateful that He made it happen.

            This scripture in Deuteronomy 3:25-33 (Msg) pretty well says it all:

God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits, to the woman who diligently seeks. It's a good thing to quietly hope, quietly hope for help from God. It's a good thing when you're young to stick it out through the hard times.
When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence. Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions: Wait for hope to appear. Don't run from trouble. Take it full-face. The "worst" is never the worst.
Why? Because the Master won't ever walk out and fail to return. If he works severely, he also works tenderly. His stockpiles of loyal love are immense. He takes no pleasure in making life hard, in throwing roadblocks in the way.

Coming out of the silence and back into the world of chemo treatments and reality, I feel more equipped to handle the next part of this journey.  There is a joy that has welled up inside of my soul.  Whatever I have to face, God will not forsake me.  He hasn't failed me yet.  He never will.

10 comments:

  1. Spending a week in silence sounds so inviting to me right now. Life can become so hectic. As I continued to read your post, I read that you are going back into the world of chemo. And yet you write that "there is a joy that has welled up inside of my soul". That can only come from your relationship with the Lord. What a testimony of giving Him the glory as you travel this path.

    This is my first visit to your blog as I linked over from Nancy's Created for a Journey.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Yes! If you can spend a week in silence, it will bless your soul! It was wonderful to take myself somewhere, forgetting about being sick, and just listen to God.

      Delete
  2. If you can ever spend this kind of lavish time with God, I highly recommend it! It truly is an amazing experience. Thanks for visiting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a whole week? wow that would be a treat, but I would have to bring my writing tablet and maybe a sketch pad too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I had my camera and my writing tab. I even tried to sketch a little!

      Delete
  4. The verses from Deuteronomy in that translation are so meaningful. And your banner verse from Isaiah is one of my favorites. I pray that all goes well with your chemo and that you are embraced with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy, I have thought about you so much during your week of silence. I knew God would not disappoint you and I knew He would give you all you need....You are such an inspiration to me and I continue to pray for you....Some day I would love to hear your story about this inspiring week you had alone with the Father....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one of these day, we will have to have a long conversation, Nancy! Maybe I can come to one of your retreats one day!

      Delete
  6. I had visited the other day and thought I had left a comment for you. Hoping all goes well with your chemo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! I have just come back to my blog today after my travels home and a day of chemo. :-)

      Delete