Sunday, May 20, 2012

Into The Silence

For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. Psalm 62:1

Four months ago, my friend, Charlene, dropped by my house after she heard about my breast cancer diagnosis.  I told her that I was feeling a peace from God and that it was going to be all right.  With tears in her eyes, she said, “Well, I don’t feel a peace about it because I just heard, and I’m trying to deal with it!” It was true.  God had been dealing with me, and I had time to come to terms with the diagnosis.  But, it was going to take some time for my friends and family to come to the same peace. 

Charlene and I have been friends for over thirty years.  She is a wonderful combination of Martha and Mary.   As the director of an assisted living facility, she has given and given…and given.  So, almost a year ago, I asked her if she wanted to go with me to Cohasset, MA for a silent retreat.  I attended by myself three years ago, immersing myself in the silence and my Lord.  It was experience that renewed and rejuvenated my relationship with God.  The retreat house is a beautiful, old early 1900’s summer home with a magnificent view of the ocean.  It really is heaven!  The days are full of, well, just about anything a person wants to do.  There’s time to pray, read, sleep, eat (the food is wonderful!), take walks along the beach, and just immerse oneself in the silence.  So, four months ago, I told Charlene that I was going to do everything I possibly could to go on this retreat, cancer or no cancer.  The time has come.  With my doctor’s blessing, we leave tomorrow for eight glorious days.

Mother Teresa said, In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you. Then you will know that you are nothing. It is only when you realize your nothingness, your emptiness, which God can fill you with Himself. Souls of prayer are souls of great silence. “  Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness…in silence, only speaking when he jousted with the devil.  Samuel heard God speak in the silence of the night.  On the mountain, Elijah did not hear God in the wind, the earthquake or the fire, but rather in the quiet, still small voice of God.  In order to fellowship with God, we must spend time with Him……….just listening.  I’m not sure what God is going to tell Charlene or me, but we both have a very important appointment with Him.

Each day, I will be posting quiet scripture pictures on my blog.  I hope that you might enjoy a little taste of the silence along with us.

3 comments:

  1. Cindy I thinkof you oftenand pray for you. I love your blog and I love and thank God for you! You are so precious to me!
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the place where my friend spent a week. She also had breast cancer and needed time to stay still and remember that He is God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was an amazing experience. That's interesting about your friend! This is surely the place to come for the quiet.

    ReplyDelete