Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I Will Remember


It started me thinking.  My daughter, son, and I were sitting in the kitchen talking, when my daughter asked, “How come all people aren’t healed?”  This was an honest question and it deserved an honest answer.  As Christians, we believe in prayer.  We believe that our God listens to us and answers our prayers.  We know that Jesus healed the sick—that was a part of His ministry.  Miracles happened and people believed. 
            I believe in miracles.  Those two adult children, sitting around the kitchen bar are proof of that.  My daughter was born one month premature.  She developed Hyaline Membrane Disease where the lungs are covered with something like a plastic bag.  In the 70’s there was not a lot they knew to do to prevent it.  They could only place the baby on oxygen and hope that the lungs would begin functioning correctly.  For several days, she was placed on 100% oxygen.  The doctor told us that he feared if she continued at that high level, she would suffer brain damage or blindness.  But, she couldn’t breathe on her own.  That day, I called my prayer warriors.  I asked them to specifically pray that at 4:00 that afternoon, they would turn her oxygen down.  I made the call to the hospital at 4:30.  I will never forget what the nurse told me.  “Mrs. Hamilton, we can’t believe it, but we are able to start turning your babies’ oxygen down.”
            When my son was born, the pediatrician “just happened” to be in the nursery when my baby stopped breathing.  The doctor stayed with him all night long.  I remember the nurse coming in to tell me that there was a problem.  I couldn’t get out of bed because of an epidural, so all I could do was pray.  I reached over and opened the Bible beside me on the nightstand to this scripture: weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5.  The nurse came in the next morning to tell me that my baby was going to be fine.
            About that same time my daddy was diagnosed with lung cancer.  He had been a smoker all of his life.  I prayed, oh how I prayed, for my daddy, but God didn’t heal him.  Through all of that, however, God gave me an amazing glimpse of heaven.  I was alone with my daddy when he died.  I will never forget the look on his face when he took his last breath.  It was if he saw someone that he hadn’t seen in a long time.    
            There have been so many answered prayers throughout the years.  All I know to do is trust in the Lord.  There’s no magic formula to “getting healed”.  God’s Word just gives us many scriptures on healing.  I can only stand on them.  I know that we all will die, and I’m certainly not afraid to go to heaven, but I pray that God will give me more years to be with my precious grandchildren and finish my work here on earth.
            So, in the meantime, I want to have a cheerful heart because it is good medicine. (Proverbs 17:22).  And I pray: Lord, by such things people live; and my spirit finds life in them too. You restored me to health and let me live. (Isaiah 38:16)
I will continue to pray for all of the precious people on my prayer list who are fighting cancer.  God is Jehovah-Rapha.  He is the God Who Heals. 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment