Monday, April 9, 2012

By His Stripes


Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted.5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:4,5

Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness by whose stripes you were healed. 1Peter 2:22-24


For the last three months, I have claimed this scripture.  My healing comes from the very stripes that Jesus suffered.  It’s not easy to contemplate the suffering of Jesus, but it is necessary for us to do so in order to fully understand the sacrifice that he offered for us.

On Good Friday, I watched The Passion of Christ for the first time.  Honestly, I haven’t wanted to watch it, but for some reason I was compelled to experience Christ's passion. I needed to know the extent of the suffering that has allowed me to claim my healing.  I cried.  I still can’t comprehend the agony that Christ had to suffer for me….for the entire world.  I felt so unworthy.  But, Peter says that because Jesus bore our sins on the tree, we have died to our sins and now have the ability to live for righteousness—to be right with God.

Isaiah says that “by His stripes we are healed” and in 1 Peter it says, “you were healed”.  Because “it was finished” by Jesus, our healing has been accomplished.  I will never take this for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment