Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Grace Is Sufficient For You


Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. It was that Mary who anointed the Lord with fragrant oil and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick. Therefore the sisters sent to Him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom You love is sick. When Jesus heard that, He said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it. Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.

Cancer is not fun--wild, crazy, out-of-control cells causing mayhem in my body.  A previously healthy, fit person laid low by the drugs that must now be used to fight this insidious disease.  But, I thank God for them.  I pray that God will direct these drugs specifically toward those cells like Pac-man chomping up the little dots.

God is a healing God.  At the beginning of this journey, He told me…“This is not unto death.”  Those words keep coming at me, wrapping around my heart as I lay awake at night, unable to sleep.  I breathe in and out   “Je..sus, Je..sus” .  And I hear him say, “I’m here, Cindy.”  He sits down softly beside me on the bed, his presence real in the dark room. He knows because He’s been there.  He’s suffered it all—more than I could ever imagine. 

Jesus loved Martha and Mary and Lazarus.  He would not have purposely caused them suffering.  He knew that their suffering would be turned into ecstatic joy and gladness—springing them into the Kingdom of God.  Mary, especially, did not understand why Jesus did not come and heal her brother.  But this sickness would result in glorifying the Healer of the Universe. 

Paul saw suffering in the same way, And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9,10

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is a quiet 'beautiful' writing. There is a book called 'The man who loved women' by Bruce Marchiano and it is a wonderful portrayal of HOW MUCH HE (Jesus) Loved women for who they were and how special they were. (of course not in a bad way but in a good way)
    I would highly recommend it for you.
    Go into Bruce Marchiano minsitries site and you can order it. Or I can mail you one, if you want. (would need an address)

    ReplyDelete