Monday, February 13, 2012

Don't Be Concerned


     It was going to happen; it was inevitable.  They told me it would take about ten days; and they were right.  I woke last Thursday morning and realized my hair was falling out.  The reason a person loses their hair in chemo is because the drugs attack the newest cells….like the bad cancer ones, but also, the good ones like your hair.  It’s OK, it really is. 1 Peter 3:3,4 says it this way, “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” Well, Lord, I submit my spirit to you; that's all I have right now.
            There were two sweet friends who offered to shave my head before all of my hair fell out.  But, when I woke up that morning, there wasn’t a lot of time to get with either of them and make it happen.  My second “healing drip” was scheduled for noon that day.  What was I going to do? I sat down in my chair to begin my morning prayer time with the Lord, when I heard my phone ping.  It was my friend, Rhonda, from church.  In her text she said that she was praying for me and had sent a special song to me via Facebook.  Rhonda! Rhonda was a beautician.  Maybe Rhonda would come and shave my head?  I texted her back. Yes, she would be happy to.  In fact, for some reason that morning she had lingered at home instead of going on to school.  Thank you, Lord.  You care about even the small things like this.  

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how God is bringing just the people you need into your life right now....He does all the time, but it seems so much more evident when you are going through something like this....

    You come to my mind often, and each time I pray for you...several times during the middle of the night, I awake with you on my mind, and I pray....

    Hugs and blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, you have always been just as beautiful on the inside as you are on the outside! Praying for you at this latest step in your journey. May grace abound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When mine fell out the first time, I let my children shave my head. We all piled in the bathroom and they took turns with the clippers. It became a silly time, a child-centered time... Took the stress out of the whole thing right away. They still talk of it. Are you a knitter? Or do you have friends who are knitters who would fell blessed to be able to make you something? Look on knitty.com or ravelry.com , look up "hallowig" ... I have a couple that were made for me that I love. Take care, email any time at esdehority@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. If God wanted hair to be permanent, he wouldn't have made it so easy to cut. That stuff is optional. I bet you look great, Cindy. We're praying for you and the rest of the Lonoke crew.

    - Doug Voss

    ReplyDelete