Monday, January 23, 2012

Packing for the Journey


 Your word is a lamp before my feet 
and a light for my journey.
Psalm 119: 105 CEB

Half the fun of taking a trip is planning it!  I love to pour over the brochures, peruse the websites, make lists, and pack my suitcase.  So, I’ve been thinking; what do I pack for this spiritual and healing journey?  Here’s my list so far:
  • God’s Word (This has already given me a lot of courage and strength.)  The Bible will be my travel guide and map.  When or if I get lost along the way, I have all the confidence in the world that He will be my GPS.  There may be a lot of “recalculating, recalculating,” but I trust that God knows where this journey ends, and He will get me there safely.
  • Prayer Journal--Over the years, I have kept a prayer journal during different times of my life.  It always amazes me to go back and read how God has intervened in the most wonderful ways!  Several years ago, I purchased a book called, Praying in Color by Sybil McBeth.  This book teaches even those of us who aren’t very artistic to doodle our prayers in a journal.  It’s fun and effective.
  • My “fight” songs.  I have created a playlist of my favorite songs on my IPod that are musical prayers for me.  Music is healing! When I wake at night, dark thoughts filling my head, I sing.  I often wake with one of these songs playing in my head
  • There are several books that I want to read along the way.  A dear friend just sent me The Meal that Heals, Enjoying Intimate Daily Communion with God by Perry Stone.  Anne Voskamp’s book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are is another book that will be packed away in a special place.  There are so many wonderful books out there that are just a click away on my IPad!
  •  Speaking of the IPad!  The YouVersion app at www.youversion.com/free-bible-apps is a free Bible App that allows you to take the Bible along on your IPad, IPhone, or laptop.  The App has multiple translations, Bible reading plans, a place to take notes, and other great options.  So, that will definitely be packed in my suitcase!
  • My camera.  Photography gets my creative juices flowing!  When there is an artist inside who can’t draw or paint, photography fills the void.  It’s fun to see God’s world through the lens of a camera.  It’s as if you have an intimate close-up look at His creation.  Scripture and photography just goes hand in hand.
  • My Pillow………OK, I don’t go anywhere without my pillow!

It’s going to be a miraculous journey; and I may have to pick up some things along the way, but I have all the faith in the world that God will provide.  Now, who will go on this journey with me…………



3 comments:

  1. Precious Cindy, thank you for sharing your heart on this journey. I know there are so many unknowns ahead, but we rejoice that Someone already sees the path! I pray for you every time I think of you, which is often.

    (Ann Voskamp is a friend of mine. I'm going to send her a link to this post. I know she will be delighted to hear that her book is an enouragement to you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sweet friend, this is a beautiful post and I can tell you have put alot of thought and heart into each word.....I know God will surround you with His love and comfort on this journey and that He will guide each step of the way even when the path is rocky and scary.. I too am praying for you when you come to mind which has been several times a day.....

    I will go on this journey with you. God has allowed our paths to cross and I feel your friendship is a gift.....

    Hugs to you my friend,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying with you, Friend... God goes with you on this journey and He's got you cupped in His hand...

    All's grace,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete